Boston Engineering’s Advanced Systems Group (ASG) develops game-changing robotics, unmanned systems, and special tactical equipment. Our experienced, multidisciplinary team drives technology evolution for federal defense and civilian agencies, and corporations. Recognized as a robotics engineering leader, the Economist named Boston Engineering in its “Top-6 Technology Breakthroughs of 2009” for robotic marine innovation. Additionally, the Boston Business Journal has ranked Boston Engineering in its top-10 list of largest Massachusetts robotics companies for the past five consecutive years (2015-2019).
Our robotics expertise capabilities emphasize unmanned vehicle innovation — including unmanned ground vehicles (UGVs) and autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs). Product applications include the military, the oil and gas industry, port security, and industrial entities with requirements for:
- Intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR)
- Port security, underwater inspection, and maintenance
- Underwater threat detection and interdiction
- Advanced object manipulation for urban operations
- Maritime systems for sensing, communication, and exploration
Boston Engineering has been awarded contracts from agencies including:
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate (DHS S&T)
- Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA)
- U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development, and Engineering Center (TARDEC)
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- U.S. Navy Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR)
Boston Engineering’s ASG team also participates in sponsored research and development (R&D) programs including Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR). Boston Engineering’s ASG team also commercializes products and has received Phase II SBIR/STTR funding to support this effort. We are an ideal partner for primary contractors and other businesses interested in transitioning technologies to the private sector.
We have applied our electromechanical and robotic expertise to develop products that include:
- AURIS™ is a modular add-on system for UGVs that can open doors autonomously and then conduct in-room operations after ingress. AURIS removes soldiers and first responders from potentially dangerous situations while maintaining the capability of their COTS UGV equipment.
- BIOSwimmer™ is a biologically-inspired UUV with broad commercial and homeland security applications that include inspecting ships, securing ports, and conducting marine maintenance operations. Click here for the BIOSwimmer data sheet.
- GhostSwimmer™ is a stealthy, highly maneuverable, and modular biomimetic AUV for various missions in contested, cluttered, or denied environments.
- MANEUVER™ is an easily integrated, high-performance hydrodynamic control surface technology that can improve maneuverability, efficiency, or noise characteristics of underwater and surface vehicles.
- MASED is a Multipurpose Above/Below Surface Expendable Dropsonde buoy with an adaptable and modular sensor capability that transmits live data via satellite. It is the first product to collect ocean data during developing hurricanes via multiple submerge-and-surface cycles. Click here for the MASED data sheet.
- R-LUCID™, a robot-linked user control and interface design, maximizes robot-operator team effectiveness, accelerates operator training, and provides a means for predicting and developing effective human-robot interfaces.
Robotics Industry Involvement
We are active in technology and robotics industry organizations including:
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI)
- For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST USA)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Massachusetts Medical Device Industry Council (MassMEDIC)
- National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)
- Robotics Cluster: Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council