Jan 13, 2020
What: The Blue Innovation Symposium’s “Defense Sensor and Data” panel will spotlight trends and innovations with the following experts:
- Dr. Fletcher Blackmon, Science and Technology Division Head – Sensors and SONAR Systems Department, Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Newport
- Mr. Michael Wardlaw, Head of the Maritime Sensing Group, Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Justin Manley, President, Just Innovation, Inc.
- Jose Vazquez, Defense & Security Director, Boston Engineering (moderator)
Date and Time: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 from 1:15 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Location: Salve Regina University (100 Ochre Point Avenue Newport, Rhode Island 02840 USA)
- Dr. Fletcher Blackmon serves as the Science and Technology Division Head in the Sensors and SONAR Systems Department at NUWC, where he is responsible for leading research teams. Dr. Blackmon’s work experience spans the areas of acoustics, transduction devices and materials, acoustic communications technologies, and optical systems as well as many other technology areas for the U.S. Navy.
- Mr. Justin Manley is an innovative technologist and executive with experience in startup, public corporation, academic, and public sectors. He supports a variety of clients with a focus on unmanned and undersea systems. Mr. Manley has been working with marine technology and robotics since 1990 and is a recognized leader in unmanned systems development and operations.
- Mr. Michael Wardlaw leads the Maritime Sensing Group at ONR, which funds Naval S&T in acoustic and non-acoustic sensing technologies for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and mine warfare (MIW). Presently, Mr. Wardlaw also is a lead Engineering Instructor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Mr. Jose Vazquez leads defense and security product innovation at Boston Engineering. Previously, Mr. Vazquez held director positions at both the Office of Naval Research (ONR) and the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate (DHS S&T), where he drove technology development and worked closely with users to optimize new products for their operational requirements.