Illustrating Expendable Maritime Sensor Capabilities via MASED
MASED includes the following technologies and capabilities that are also used throughout the company’s maritime sensing product line:
- Variable Buoyancy System (VBS): Achieves multiple submerged water column profiles through its Variable Buoyancy System (VBS). The ability to change buoyancy allows MASED to make multiple controlled descents to a preprogrammed depth then ascend to the surface to transmit the collected data.
- Modular Software and Operating System: Provides control via microcontroller of IMU, GPS, SATCOM, datalogger, CTD, and other sensors. Enables users to communicate, upgrade, modify, and test systems with ease.
- Sensor Nose (with CTD sensing): Measures water temperature, conductivity, and pressure through the water column profiles and while at the surface. The modular design enables multiple types of sensors to be deployed.
- Electronics and Communications Modules (Satellite Communication with GPS): Missions can be preprogrammed but a sample is that the device collects baseline data on day one, profiles again (multiple times) while the storm passes over, then transmits the data via Iridium to the Iridium satellite constellation, which can then be accessed quickly from anywhere in the world.
- Ruggedized Design: Operates in harsh conditions. MASED is deployed from standard AVAPs launch tubes from aircraft flying up to 45,000 feet. The parachute system automatically detaches when in the water.
Boston Engineering is utilizing MASED’s core technologies to address needs for the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR), Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA), and the Office of Naval Research (ONR). Figure 2 shows the Boston Engineering product family, into which MASED’s core technologies were incorporated.
Building a Maritime Sensor Product Line
The modularity and adaptability of MASED provides a significant advantage to address multiple applications and markets. Boston Engineering can deliver reliable, low-cost products by utilizing the latest technologies, and by applying our expertise in modularizing designs through design for manufacturing and optimization (DFx) best practices (see Table 1).
Additional Maritime Sensor Products
In addition to MASED, Boston Engineering is developing the following capabilities:
Proteus is a persistent ocean profiling system that gathers high-density measurements through hundreds of profiles over the course of many months to provide the Navy with accurate year-round ocean environment data at a lower cost than today’s methods. Proteus provides highly reliable oceanographic data with sensors including GPS, water